Monday, October 6, 2008

Socks


I'm now working on two different knitting projects: socks and a hat. Originally they were both intended for my husband, but he felt the socks were too girly. Now he's keeping the hat, and I'm taking the socks. There's one problem though, the socks are too big for me. I finished the first one and tried it on, and well, there's a lot of space left once my foot is in. The hat is coming out pretty well, so I think he'll be ok with it.


This is my first time trying socks. I can't believe how long it took me to get the courage to do something like this! Socks just looked so difficult. I was able to turn the heel, but I have a major problem with the double pointed needles in this case. For some reason, where the needles meet the stitches keep getting looser and looser. One of the girls in a knitting group I meet up with suggested tightening that stitch extra hard, but that didn't work. Then she suggested changing the stitches from one needle to the other periodically so that the "in between" stitches would change. That worked better, but after just a couple of rows the same problem would start with the new stitches and overall there's this weird look of bumps. It's driving me crazy! I would really like to find a way for this not to happen. The funny thing is, this has never happened before when I used DP needles.


We'll see what happens when I finish the second sock.

No comments: